There is something special about a gorgeous dish that can be prepared in 5 minutes. This is precisely one of those dishes. It takes basic ingredients that I generally have on hand, and very little effort to put together. So… I think we know what you’re making for breakfast this weekend!
To be fair, in order for it to be done in 5 minutes, you need to have some prepared quinoa on hand, but I usually make a big batch of plain quinoa in the beginning of the week, and scoop out as much as I need for certain dishes throughout the week. Otherwise, this dish takes as long as it take for quinoa to cook, plus one minute to put it all together!
I was inspired by this recipe on Goop when I was in the mood for a light but filling breakfast, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
I made some modifications based on what I had on hand, but the result was so delicious, I had to share it with you!
You will need:
- 1/2 -3/4 cup of cooked quinoa (depending on how hungry you are!)
- 2 big handfuls of chopped kale (it will wilt when you cook it, but not nearly as much as spinach)
- half a cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs good quality olive oil (since you will taste its flavour in this dish)
- 1 poached egg (Never poached an egg? Don’t worry, I’ve included a full tutorial here).
- pinch of cayenne pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by boiling water and poaching your egg, because this will all come together quickly. Alternatively, fry an egg.
- Allow your pan to heat up to medium heat and add 1 tbs of olive oil. When olive oil becomes fragrant, add kale. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add garlic. Cook just until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add quinoa, tomatoes, and cayenne/red pepper flakes, and toss. Dress with remaining olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and plate. Garnish with that delicious freshly grated parmesan and top with the egg.
That’s all it takes. It is SO easy, and very delicious! It feels healthy and clean, but surprisingly satisfying because of the egg and cheese. Trust me, it’s worth making over the weekend.
Let me know how it goes!
That yolk, though!!
Link your breakfast faves to me below!
Click the button & follow ❤